Welsh Athletics will be hosting two track and field events this weekend as the shortened summer season concludes for 2020 having been disrupted because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
This forthcoming weekend in the next organised events, Saturday 19th September will see sprinters head to Cardiff International Sports Stadium for the Welsh Athletics Sprints Open Meeting. The event is open to those in the under 17, under 20 and senior and will see races over distances of 100m and 200m.
24 hours later on Sunday 20th September, attention turns to the endurance runners as the latest Welsh Athletics Endurance Open visits Swansea University Athletics Track (not Newport Stadium as previously advertised). The event is open to under 15, under 17, under 20 and senior club athletes with entries taken online for the 800m, 1500m, 3000m and 3000m Walk.
Approximately 150 athletes across all age groups will be involved on Saturday and Sunday altogether here in Wales. Two separate cohorts of each event will run throughout the day to ensure that numbers comply with government regulations.
Under 15 - Senior athletes have already had competitions to attend at Aberdare and Swansea over the past four weeks and this double-header will give them another opportunity to compete in this shortened season.
GOOD LUCK TO THE CARMARTHEN HARRIERS ATHLETES HEADING TO CARDIFF AND SWANSEA ON THE WEEKEND TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SPRINTS & ENDURANCE DISCIPLINES, AS WELL AS THOSE HEADING TO OTHER EVENTS IN ENGLAND SUCH AS THE ENDURANCE OPEN AND JUMPS OPEN IN YEOVIL AND YATE RESPECTIVELY. Results to follow on Sunday evening.
All Entries for the events in Wales are closed, no other entries will be accepted.
- No spectators are permitted. Each athlete will be allowed to nominate one individual to accompany them to the event, who will need to be pre-declared. No other persons will be permitted into the venue on competition day.
- Athletes are not permitted to enter more than one event at any competition.
- Athletes must ensure that they are up-to-date with both their club and Welsh Athletics registrations for 2020. No athlete will be permitted to enter unless they are fully registered.
- A one-way system will be in operation at the event, which will be communicated to athletes prior to the event. This must be strictly adhered to.
- Athletes will be given designated arrival and departure times dependent on the event they have entered. This times must be strictly adhered to. Athletes will not be permitted to remain in the facility after the conclusion of their competition.
- Due to current hygiene and venue regulations, there will be no catering available at the event.
- There will be no changing facilities available, however toilet access will be provided by the facility.
- Athletes will be required to confirm on entering the event that they are free from COVID-19 symptoms, or symptoms of any other illness. They will also be required to re-declare this on the day of the event. Temperature testing will be in place for all entering the venue.
Saturday 19th September
Welsh Athletics Sprints Open - U17, U20 & Senior
Cardiff International Sports Stadium
Events: 100m, 200m
EVENT PAGE: https://www.welshathletics.org/en/competition/current/view/sprints-open
START LISTS & RESULTS: https://data.opentrack.run/en-gb/x/2020/GBR/wasop/event/
Sunday 20th September
Welsh Athletics Endurance Open - U15, U17, U20 & Senior
Swansea University Athletics Track
Events: 800m, 1500m, 3000m, 3000m Walk
START LISTS & RESULTS: https://data.opentrack.run/en-gb/x/2020/GBR/waend2/event/